[Info-vax] problem with LSE installation

Paul Anderson paul.anderson at vmssoftware.com
Tue May 19 12:05:58 EDT 2015

On 5/16/15 3:39 PM, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:

> Just running LSE will reproduce the problem, so it appears to be nothing
> to do with the installation per se.
>
> I could try to set up some minimal configuration files, but this really
> should be mentioned in the installation guide if it is necessary:
> usually one first installs something, then configures it.
> Alternatively, if an installation procedure notices some files are
> missing, it can create them.

As Rob has mentioned, the LSE installation uses LSE.  This is to
determine your current LSE language default (VMSLSE or PORTABLE).  Did
you say you never _installed_ or never _used_ LSE on this system?

I am guessing at where in KITINSTAL.COM the installation is failing.

The LSE installation uses the existence of SYS$LIBRARY:LSESHR.EXE to
determine if you already have LSE installed, and then runs your
installed version of SYS$SYSTEM:LSEDIT.EXE.

This part of KITINSTAL.COM can be deleted without harm; in fact, the VSI
version of LSE takes care of such problems.

Send me e-mail offline and I can tell you what do or send you a revised
version of KITINSTAL for LSE.

Paul