[Info-vax] OpenVMS printing to PDF

Jan-Erik Soderholm jan-erik.soderholm at telia.com
Wed May 20 05:17:13 EDT 2015

Dirk Munk skrev den 2015-05-20 01:23:

> Indeed a PDF tool can do that. But think of a billing program that produces
> PDF output files. Similar to FMS, you first produce a PDF form with named
> fields, and then you fill those named fields in your application. When the
> form has been completed you write the pdf form, as an individual form, or
> all of them as one big file, just as you choose.

That is mostly what the JetForm siute of applications did.
Used JetForm Design to design a form (Windows based).
Applications created a flat text file with the "data".
Jetform Merge (we used the VMS version) then inserts
the data into the form and (in that case) produced a
PCL5 file to be printed. With logos and barcodes.

A "PDF form" is usualy something that should be filled in
interactively using the Adobe Reader and is something quite
different.

Jan-Erik.