[Info-vax] OpenVMS printing to PDF

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Wed May 20 08:41:07 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-20 02:38:06 +0000, Dirk Munk said:

> I've done some Postscript programming myself a very long time ago, and
> I still remember some of the basics. Among the things we did was
> produce Postscript files in a Cobol program, and the resulting file was
> sent to a Postscript chain-form printer. You couldn't make the pages
> too complex, because then the printer couldn't process the Postscript
> fast enough to have the resulting image ready for the next page, and as
> a result it would insert a blank page.
>
> I get your point with regard to the PDF input fields. So after the form
> has been filled, it should be "flattened", removing all fields, but not
> their contents of course. However you could also use password
> protection or another way of protection to avoid some one changing the
> contents later on.
>
> I have a program called Nuance Power PDF Advanced on my PC to create
> and edit PDF files and forms, so I have a rough idea about all the
> possibilities with PDF.

I'd suggest using technologies designed and developed the last ~twenty
years (e.g. HTML, PDF frameworks), but if you wanted to spend the time
with Postscript or LaTeX or such tools, or if you wanted to do in-line
coding akin to what was typical with FMS, it'd work.   iOS and OS X can
trivially generate this stuff, or yes, you can use older tools and then
ps2pdf or similar.

For Python, I'd likely look to start with something akin to
<https://bitbucket.org/rptlab/reportlab>
<http://www.reportlab.com/opensource/>.  Maybe
<http://appyframework.org/podWritingTemplates.html>.  But various of
the systems I deal with are easier here, and in various dimensions —
tools, SMTP support, etc — so I'd probably not bother trying to get
something like OpenVMS to drive this whole process, and would RPC or
push notify or otherwise trigger and transfer either an individual
request or a bulk run from the OpenVMS server to the host performing
the processing, or would use a database shared with OpenVMS, etc.  In
general and obviously depending on the application, some other platform
may well be preferable to using OpenVMS here.

For OpenVMS, CDA$ conversions would be the typical mechanism for
something-to-something conversions (maybe text or Postscript to PDF,
here), but there's little support for "recent" formats in CDA$ (older
RTF is about the limit) and AFAIK there's no PDF support in CDA or in
DECwindows.  (Though there was a PDF tool mentioned in an early VSI
roadmap, that seems to have disappeared from the more recent roadmap.
I've not seen any mention of extensive work in DECwindows, nor a PDF
framework, nor PDF tools other than what was in the roadmap a while
back.  That's probably in the plans for "sometime around eventually",
but getting the VSI business going first is more important.)