[Info-vax] OpenVMS printing to PDF

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Wed May 20 09:39:57 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-20 09:11:55 +0000, Dirk Munk said:

> Stephen Hoffman wrote:
>> On 2015-05-19 23:23:48 +0000, Dirk Munk said:
>>
>>> Indeed a PDF tool can do that. But think of a billing program that
>>> produces PDF output files. Similar to FMS, you first produce a PDF
>>> form with named fields, and then you fill those named fields in your
>>> application. When the form has been completed you write the pdf form,
>>> as an individual form, or all of them as one big file, just as you
>>> choose.
>>
>> So go write it, then.
>>
>> With what I'm working with, you create the display as needed using the
>> interface builder within the development tools, and then export the
>> resulting display to PDF.   The applications don't know they're doing
>> something any different than writing to a display.  That's with the
>> baked-in PDF capabilities on the platform, and the related integration
>> that's available.
>>
>> For many applications rendering your pages via HTML5 would be a far more
>> typical approach, then generating PDF files from that.
>>
>> Related:
>> <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/923885/capture-html-canvas-as-gif-jpg-png-pdf>,
>>
>> <http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/forms/html5forms/>,
>> <https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/hh547102.aspx>,
>> <http://diveintohtml5.info/forms.html>,
>> <http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/466362/Blend-PDF-with-HTML>, etc.
>> Some of those links are comparatively ancient, too.
>>
>> Rolling your own FMS or DECforms solution — unless you're doing
>> translation or support or a conversion for existing OpenVMS sites, maybe
>> — will have to compete with what's available, obviously.
>>

> Seems to me as if we have a misunderstanding. I'm not suggesting using
> PDF as a way of interactive data entry, although that would be possible
> I guess.

Or we have a case where you have a particular solution where FMS is
still appropriate — go build it — and I'd use different tools and
approaches.  You like Windows interfaces and using the symbiont, and
that is very far from an approach I'd design or would prefer to use —
but maybe you can garner a customer base for it, so go build it.  You'd
use FMS and similar tools, and I'd probably avoid that as most folks
are interested in rendering forms with rather more control over the
display and quite possibly with images and watermarks and related — but
again, there might be a market for folks that like the FMS-style
text-only embedded-code approach, so go build it.

Now before you go build it, I'd suggest a little market research into
how folks — those not using FMS or DECforms — are doing these tasks
now.  What packages and tools are in use, and what the prices and
options are.  Maybe have a look at
<http://www.fytek.com/products.php?pg=pdfrpt>, for instance.
Definitely have a look at what HTML5 can do here, too — maybe not on
OpenVMS, but it's a viable approach on various other platforms.
(Remember my comments about how easy it can be to instantiate a browser
window within an application, on some platforms?)

Many folks have their customer billing integrated into their existing
accounting or ERP system, and there are commercial and open-source
options there:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ERP_software_packages>
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/postbooks/>.   For this case, this
integration means that the OpenVMS servers pass the event details along
to the accounting or ERP system, or pass the details to the box that
can compose and print bills or invoices or inserts, and let that deal
with printing invoices and bills and such.   Oracle and any number of
other vendors have report writers and the invoicing- and insert- and
paperwork-generation equivalents of the old-time mail merge programs,
too.

But again, go build this tool.  You see it.  I, well, I don't see what
you're building here, nor how it's particularly going to attract
attention.

> With FMS you design a form, and that form has data fields. In your
> application you can fill those data fields with data from a database,
> and then issue a command to display the form. The application has no
> knowledge about the form itself, it just knows the names of the data
> fields.

Sure.  I'm familiar with the old products and tools, and I would not
choose to use something like FMS here when there was a better option,
and I would most definitely not seek to present a product with an
FMS-like design to most folks.  I'd likely render this via HTML5,
though I'd also look to use the local lowercase-W window system to
render some documents — what I work with on some platforms can and does
allow an application to create a display or a canvas, fill in the
contents, and then print it — without rendering the lowercase-W window
to the user.  HTML5 can do this, as well.  LaTeX or PostScript or such
could be used, but that tends to get rather fussy — I'd rather use a
graphical form editor, tag the fields, and then have the "render" call
in the application deal with everything.  The form editor can and
probably should include the database queries necessary for the
particular operation, which are then triggered when the form is
rendered.  (On thinking about this a little more, Oracle and other
databases all have these tools, too.)

> Of course FMS also supports interactive data entry, but I'm not
> referring to that functionality, it's just about showing data.

You seem to be misunderstanding my comments about HTML5, as HTML5 can
be used to render and display data within the context of an
application, and that display can then be used for printing.  (See the
URLs listed above — not-human processing is the target for a whole lot
of HTML rendering and of HTTP and HTTPS traffic, tjhese days.   Yes,
this is a different approach than FMS and the usual FMS subroutine
calls that are integrated within an application and the FMS editor
widget, and I usually find the newer rendering and display tools to be
superior.    You also seem to be unfamiliar with windowing systems that
can also be used for rendering and display and PDF export.  That's
common on some platforms.

> If we could do the same thing with PDF, then you could design a PDF
> form with any tool you like, and then use a somewhat FMS-like utility
> to make the data fields in that form available to an application. The
> application can fill the data fields, and the issue a command to write
> the PDF page/file.

Again, this entirely feasible on various modern platforms.  You seem to
be using Windows and OpenVMS as your benchmarks here, which is
unfortunate for this particular discussion, as neither platform has
particularly robust Postscript or PDF support integrated into the
platform.  Windows is apparently getting better here, but it's been a
while since I've tangled with PDF on that platform, short of the add-on
Adobe tools or similar.  OS X and I'd expect Linux both do better,
here.   VSI has some work to do on OpenVMS in this area, if PDF support
is your goal.

Yes, FMS works, but it's a whole lot of work for what you get out of
it. curses and ncurses and SMG and the rest are similarly workable for
these sorts of tasks, and similarly involve some effort, too.  Though
the results of text-only conversions and the effort involved with FMS
or similar — even with the FMS forms designer support, whatever that
widget was called — tends to limit the interest that most folks will
have.   For better control, you're headed toward emitting LaTex or such
— or toward HTML5.  Or toward using any of the existing
report-generation tools, or using platform-integrated Postscript and
PDF generation or conversion tools, where that's available.