[Info-vax] OpenVMS printing to PDF

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Wed May 20 11:02:45 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-20 14:48:30 +0000, Dirk Munk said:

> I don't think Javascript is the ideal tool for implementing business
> rules in an application.

JavaScript or the other scripting language is how the data is fetched.
 Whether the programmer puts the business logic there, or into the
database as triggers or such, or embeds that logic in whatever local
application or remote server and remote application the JavaScript is
fetching the data from, is up to the programmer.

> An application is not about fetching data, but also about generating
> data. A billing program generates data from other data, it will not
> only produce bills, but also update databeses etc.

OK, so I might infer that you haven't particularly used a web scripting
language, embedded rendering engines, or an ERP system?

> I also see no need for a HTML5 detour and rendering process if it can
> be done with PDF directly.

Sure.  That'll work fine for various applications.  But if you want to
create The Next Great Product, then you might want to be able to
compare and contrast your approach with the existing tools and
alternatives, and one of those is HTML5.  You might end up
incorporating some of what you've learned from HTML5 or the other
tools, or you might find ways to better distinguish and better market
your product from those that folks are accustomed to on other platforms.