[Info-vax] NetBackup Performance Woes

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Wed May 20 12:03:46 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-20 14:22:50 +0000, Geek Nerdly said:

> Have experienced severe resource consumption by NetBackup release 7.5.
> This problem can bring a node to its knees, and that at times affects
> the whole cluster.

Did this ever work right, or is this a new issue?    Which particular
resources are being consumed?   Disk I/O bandwidth would be typical of
a backup tool.  Other resources or quotas?   Is it possible that the
disks are severely fragmented?    Maybe the network performance is
limited?

Various existing OpenVMS servers — you've not mentioned the OpenVMS
version or architecture or server or storage involved — are pretty
slow, too.

> Symantec provides no guidelines for tuning process quotas for their
> backup agent to balance throughput vs. resource consumption.  Their
> documentation only states that there are process quotas and they can be
> tuned.  Their support is lacking knowledge, experience (with OpenVMS at
> least) or interest in being of useful assistance.
>
> Does anyone out there have any experience or guidelines for approaching
> this problem specifically with NetBackup?
> Many thanks in advance.

FWIW, page 91 of the 7.1 documentation
<http://clientui-kb.symantec.com/resources/sites/BUSINESS/content/live/DOCUMENTATION/4000/DOC4238/en_US/NetBackup_UserGuide_OpenVMS.pdf>
indicates the recommended mechanism for throttling performance is via
the LIMIT_BANDWIDTH setting, while page 89 has the recommended minimum
quotas.  There's some network-tuning information on page 46.   I'd
suspect the backup will consume all possible resources until and unless
throttled due to skewed quota settings or I/O limits.