[Info-vax] OpenVMS printing to PDF

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Wed May 20 19:13:46 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-20 22:14:41 +0000, Jan-Erik Soderholm said:

> But none or very few ways that works on *VMS today*.

You're quite correct, and particularly where operating locally on an
isolated server and without the benefit of network connections to other
servers and platforms.  Many folks do not have that restriction, and
are interfacing with everything from LDAP servers to ERP systems to
distributed databases.

> I read the original post as an question about what was available now,
> and that was what *I* responded to.

What you were responding to was and is completely and abundantly clear.
  That's never been in question.

> Listing 10 other ways that are available on all other environments
> really doesn't help even if it is (well-) written using 200 lines of
> text.

The way that you're solving these issues on that box is certainly
workable for your needs, even laudable, but it's also not particularly
relevant to somebody — Mr Munk — that was considering product creation,
except as a threshold of the sorts of folks that have technical staff
and that probably won't be interested in purchasing the PDF tool he was
pondering creating.  It's also not something that's going to interest
somebody that wants to acquire support for processing PDF files, rather
than creating and maintaining local support.

> If we are discussing what would be nice to have in 5 years it would
> have been another matter.

Which is what I *was* discussing, particularly some options and
alternatives that somebody — Mr Munk — might want to consider when
designing that PDF tool that he was referencing.

Now beyond the discussion of options and alternatives that would be
useful for somebody creating a tool, would I like to see a web
rendering engine in OpenVMS?  Yes.  A much broader selection of format
and file conversion tools?  Yes.   The frameworks and tools provided
with OpenVMS — all the effort that leads you to need to deal with PDF
by adding pieces and parts and to then supporting those pieces — really
should be upgraded, and PDF tools and web tools should not be a
grafted-on features, but integral components of the base operating
system.  You should be working on the things that make your application
more distinct and more unique and more valuable.  Not working on
generic features.  On OpenVMS, PDF is special and distinct and requires
work.