[Info-vax] grey screen of death

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Fri May 22 03:36:28 EDT 2015

In article <slrnmltk5q.dh0.jkb at rayleigh.systella.fr>, JKB
<jkb at koenigsberg.invalid> writes:

> >> 	Any idea. I have the same issue with my AS800.
> >
> > Interesting.  This makes it even more likely that there are insufficient
> > quotas and/or values of system parameters somewhere.
>
> 	I don't use special quota and 8.3 ran like a charm on this AS800.
>
> > Do you have UPDATE 5 patch as well?
>
> 	I don't. I have seen this issue when I have installed 8.4 a long
> 	time ago and I have posted here my constatations.

Did you go back to 8.3 because of this?

Directory SYS$COMMON:[SYSEXE]

CLU$PARAMS.DAT;39    22-MAR-2015 22:04:34.55
NEWPARAMS.DONE;2     22-MAR-2015 20:13:51.01

The above were produced during the upgrade and everything there is
concerned with DECwindows.  So, either things are seriously broken, or
it's a quota, rather than parameter, problem.

Also, normally there is an error during startup if the parameters are
not sufficient.

My guess is that it is some quota.  What are recommended minimum values
for SYSTEM and DEFAULT?

Yes, I read the 8.4 release notes and installation guide, but couldn't
find anything related to this.