[Info-vax] 8.4 freespace-drift problem?

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Fri May 22 08:15:08 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-22 02:40:45 +0000, David Froble said:

> Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
>> Twice since the upgrade I've noticed that the free space was off by
>> about 4 GB.  (After the upgrade I went from 4-GB to 9-GB disks, which
>> gave me 5 GB free instead of 1.  I was really surprised when I saw just
>> 1 GB free.)  ANA/DISK/REPAIR fixes it, but it appeared again a day
>> later.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this?
>>
>> In the last 20 years or so I have never seen this much freespace drift
>> on my hobbyist systems.
>>
>> The problem (at least so far) has been only on the system disk with 8.4.

Phillip: Upgrade the entire cluster to V8.4.  You're troubleshooting a
fairly long span of software versions in a cluster, you've probably had
some hard halts and some crashes, and you're working with a number of
badly under-patched V7.3-2 systems.  Your hardware is also not really
suited to what you're trying to do, too.   Why upgrade everything?
Your V8.4 patches are much newer than much of what you're running on
here, and it may well be the V7.3-2 boxes or potentially some quirk of
local operations here — crashes and hard halts are the most common
causes of free space drift, in my experience — and not the V8.4 box
that's centrally causing the drift.

Phillip: FWIW, you're also running ancient Alpha hardware with what are
now exceedingly small disks and probably with equivalently-constrained
physical memory, but then this is your museum of Y2K computing, and not
mine.  An Alpha emulator will very likely be a substantial storage
capacity upgrade, and may well be a memory and performance upgrade from
the hardware configuration that you're using here, after all.   Fifteen
or twenty year old gear has capacity and performance limits beyond its
basic operation, after all.  Emulation at least gets you clear of the
pre-EV6 gear you're using.

> Why am I so happy that I'm still running V8.3 ????

David: V8.4 with mid- to current-vintage patches works here, and works
at the sites I'm dealing with, including with DECwindows on an
EV6-compatible graphics controller.  But then I'm not (intentionally)
not running a whole lot of 100 MbE hosts and definitely not running
HBVS across a 100 MbE network connection — that full copy would take a
whole lot longer with the 146 GB disks and the larger disks that are
more typical than what Phillip is running.  Multi-host SCSI or FC would
be typical for such a configuration, when that's necessary.

Both: Unfortunately, OpenVMS free space drift has been around for eons,
and there's been ongoing work to reduce it.  But it's a cached value,
and there are known cases where the value can and will drift.  Hard
crashes and hard halts being two of the most common triggers — if some
host is working with the disk and is holding the disk lock and performs
various deletions which update the free space and then that host
suddenly goes bye-bye hard, you will get free space drift.  At least
until the next rebuild is performed.

Phillip: When it is convenient, invoke SET VOLUME /REBUILD=FORCE and
the lock value block free space value will be resynchronized with the
disk storage.