[Info-vax] 8.4 freespace-drift problem?

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Fri May 22 09:16:33 EDT 2015

In article <mjn6is$vtm$1 at dont-email.me>, Stephen Hoffman
<seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid> writes:

> Phillip: Upgrade the entire cluster to V8.4.

But then there is the real danger that I have no DECwindows at all.

> You're troubleshooting a
> fairly long span of software versions in a cluster, you've probably had
> some hard halts and some crashes,

No, neither.

> and you're working with a number of
> badly under-patched V7.3-2 systems.

Current as of patch-cutoff day.  :-|

> Your hardware is also not really
> suited to what you're trying to do, too.

An XP1000 is not suited for running DECwindows?

> Why upgrade everything?
> Your V8.4 patches are much newer than much of what you're running on
> here, and it may well be the V7.3-2 boxes or potentially some quirk of
> local operations here --- crashes and hard halts are the most common
> causes of free space drift, in my experience --- and not the V8.4 box
> that's centrally causing the drift.

OK, upgrade to avoid the free-space drift.  OK.  But there is still the
DECwindows problem.

> Phillip: FWIW, you're also running ancient Alpha hardware with what are
> now exceedingly small disks

I have 9 GB on the system disk, with 4 free.  Just upgraded another disk
from 18 to 36 today.  Not THAT small.

> and probably with equivalently-constrained
> physical memory,

2 GB.

> mine.  An Alpha emulator will very likely be a substantial storage
> capacity upgrade, and may well be a memory and performance upgrade from
> the hardware configuration that you're using here, after all.   Fifteen
> or twenty year old gear has capacity and performance limits beyond its
> basic operation, after all.  Emulation at least gets you clear of the
> pre-EV6 gear you're using.

My plan is to skip Itanium and go directly to VMS on x86.  :-)

> Phillip: When it is convenient, invoke SET VOLUME /REBUILD=FORCE and
> the lock value block free space value will be resynchronized with the
> disk storage.

Will do.