[Info-vax] 8.4 freespace-drift problem?

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Fri May 22 17:38:03 EDT 2015

Jan-Erik Soderholm wrote:
> David Froble skrev den 2015-05-22 18:28:
>> Jan-Erik Soderholm wrote:

>>> You have no reason to be happy. Upgrade. 8.4 is "better".
>>>
>>> Phillips issues as desribed above has of course nothing
>>> with 8.4 as such to do.
>>>

>> You have actual facts to back up this statement?  Specifics?
>
> No. But I'm quite sure I'm right anyway... :-)

Aren't we all?  :-)

> VMS 8.4 has been released for general use for 5 years now.
> I would guess that the majority of bugs or whatever has been
> sorted out by now. I would also guess that it is the upgrade
> as such, not that it was to 8.4 specificaly, that is causing the
> issues. Combined with cluster, shadowing , disk swaps and so on.

It probably does work fine.  Perhaps finer on itanic than Alpha.
Understandable.  But I have no compelling reason to do such upgrades,
I'm lazy, and if it ain't broke, I'm not fixing it.

> Hoff idea of taking a scratch disk and making a clean single
> node 8.4 installation, just to check the hardware, would
> be a good next step here.

I've agreed strongly with this concept.

> My point is that the issues that Phillip is seeing right
> now are not something one should use as an input in
> the decission to run 8.4 or not.
>
> OK, if you are one of the few using DECW, you might wait and
> see, but let me guess that it is not anything relating to
> any other envorment then Phillips anyway.

The problem, as I see it, (sorry Philip), is that Philip seems to want
to explore the boundaries, however, when expertise is called for, he
claims to not be an expert in the required areas, and he doesn't have
VMS software support to call upon.

He's probably good at clusters, HBVS, and such.  Better than me who has
never been exposed to any of that stuff.