[Info-vax] 8.4 freespace-drift problem?

Cap Taillat captaillat at gmail.com
Fri May 22 21:47:14 EDT 2015

On Saturday, May 23, 2015 at 3:23:41 AM UTC+2, David Froble wrote:
> Robert A. Brooks wrote:
> > On 5/22/2015 5:47 PM, David Froble wrote:
> >
> >> Also, mount /norebuild is a very dangerous option, and should only be
> >> used in
> >> emergencies.  My opinion.  YMMV
> >
> > Dangerous?  How so?
> >

> You have no idea what state your disk is in.  If a rebuild is needed, it
> should be done.  Maybe others would not use the term dangerous, but to
> me, a disk that is not as it should be can be a problem.
>
> It's like, you look both ways before crossing the street, right?  Why
> would you try to use a disk that wasn't "right"?

Do you ever know what state a disk was in when you reboot? No? So you always do an $ ANA/DISK/REPAIR on all your volumes when you reboot, right? MOUNT/NOREBUILD simply skips the updates of caching limits, free blocks during the disk mount. To get correct values (if the disk was improperly dismounted) you must rebuild the volume. This can be time consuming during a reboot, and can be delayed as you like. Like I said, eventually it must happen.

Remember disk quotas? This is one of those things that can get out of whack here.

Gib