[Info-vax] 8.4 freespace-drift problem?

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Sat May 23 05:43:50 EDT 2015

> Your hardware is also not really
> suited to what you're trying to do, too.

I'm not doing anything which wasn't commonly done when this hardware was
new.  :-|

> Phillip: FWIW, you're also running ancient Alpha hardware with what are
> now exceedingly small disks and probably with equivalently-constrained
> physical memory,

Device      Volume             Free     Megabyte    Gigabyte     Percent   Error
 Name        Label            Blocks      Free        Free         Free    Count
DSA110:     ALPHASYS_110    11251168        5625           5          62       0
DSA150:     ALPHASYS_150     2393936        1196           1          28       0
DSA170:     ALPHASYS_170     2652448        1326           1          30       0
DSA510:     USER             5648560        2824           2          14       0
DSA520:     SOFT             6363472        3181           3          74       0
DSA530:     DATA            35565080       17782          17          48       0

After moving the other two system disks to 8.4, I will replace the 4-GB
disks with 9-GB disks.  DISK$USER will also go from 18 to 36 some time
this year.  It looks like I have enough disk space.  And 2 GB in the
XP1000 should be more than enough memory.  It's certainly not the case
that I'm having problems because of too little memory.

I have some more modern ALPHA: DS20 and DS25.  (The DS10 is comparable
to the XP1000.)  However, they use too much power to leave them on all
the time.  Also, I have just one of each, and I like to have
hot-swappable spares.  Faster stuff would probably also use too much
power.

Itanium?  Much harder to find than ALPHA, and I don't really need the
extra power.  My plan is to stay on ALPHA until VSI brings out VMS on
x86, then I'll do a rolling upgrade!