[Info-vax] 8.4 and DECwindows CDE login box not coming up

johnwallace4 at yahoo.co.uk johnwallace4 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat May 23 09:58:37 EDT 2015

On Saturday, 23 May 2015 13:27:28 UTC+1, Steven Schweda  wrote:
> > GBLPAGES                  4800000      65536      10240         -1 Pagelets    D
>
>    On my (seldom used) V8.4 system:
>
> ALP2 $ gbl
>    Global pages: 3442228, free: 3091104, contiguous: 3091072.
>    Global sections: 1400, free: 511.
>
>    Things are bigger on my main V8.3 system:
>
> ALP2 $ gbl
>    Global pages: 3442228, free: 3091104, contiguous: 3091072.
>    Global sections: 1400, free: 511.
>
> ALP $ sh sym gbl
>   GBL == "@ SYS$MANAGER:GBL.COM"
>
> ALP $ ty SYS$MANAGER:GBL.COM
> $ G = F$GETSYI( "GBLPAGES")
> $ GF = F$GETSYI( "FREE_GBLPAGES")
> $ GC = F$GETSYI( "CONTIG_GBLPAGES")
> $ WRITE  SYS$OUTPUT  -
>    "   Global pages: ''g', free: ''gf', contiguous: ''gc'."
> $ G = F$GETSYI( "GBLSECTIONS")
> $ GF = F$GETSYI( "FREE_GBLSECTS")
> $ WRITE  SYS$OUTPUT  -
>    "   Global sections: ''g', free: ''gf'."
> ALP $
>
>    Also, around here in DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER_SETUP.COM:
>
> $ decw$server_transports == "DECNET,LOCAL,TCPIP"
>
> > I've made no changes to this file.
>
>    Are you using an old one or something based on the newest
> DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER_SETUP.TEMPLATE?
>
>    Is the problem in the basic X server or
> DECW$STARTLOGIN.EXE?  (Can you get something on the display
> even if the login box is not there?)

Thank you.

I was just about to point out that VMS is quite capable of telling
the well-informed sysadmin about the resources used and available,
rather than the "pick a number" approach (which may work sometimes,
and may indeed be quicker sometimes than doing the job the 'right'
way).

So, Phillip could use F$GETSYI to the relevant "FREE_xxx" values.
Which is what I was about to suggest, but you've saved me the
typing.

And, possibly for the third time of asking (Phillip), it might be
helpful to post the accounting numbers for the failing process
(with the IMGDMP). The accounting information might be expected
to provide the values for both quota(s) used and quota(s)
authorised. If something has used all of a particular authorised
quota, it frequently doesn't end well.

Picking semi-random system parameters and/or account quotas and
changing them semi-randomly might work. Or it might not.