[Info-vax] grey screen of death

johnwallace4 at yahoo.co.uk johnwallace4 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat May 23 10:04:10 EDT 2015

On Saturday, 23 May 2015 11:00:34 UTC+1, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)  wrote:
> In article <cs90dkFf0d9U7 at mid.individual.net>,
> bill at server3.cs.scranton.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
>
> > I haven't run DECWindows on VMS for a very long time, but in my
> > halcyon VMS days I ran DECWindows on everything.  I remember
> > having to up a number of quotas in SYSGEN.  I would suppose that
> > additional requirements of the newer OS version may require these
> > to be even higher than what used to be recommended.
>
> That is what I suspected, but a) the installation tries to figure this
> out itself, b) normally error messages appear when they are not
> sufficient and c) other folks are running fine with the same parameters.

Agree with a and b but c is likely irrelevant unless you know that
other folks configurations are exactly comparable with your setup.

Get some *information* on your setup. See Steven Schweda's recent
post re F$GETSYI(FREE_xxx) and mine re account quotas/usage and
then you (and other readers?) can hopefully make fact-based
decisions rather than using telepathy and speculation :)