[Info-vax] 8.4 freespace-drift problem?

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Sun May 24 04:56:50 EDT 2015

In article <96cc0a1d-9a58-4195-9d27-549737e1a7d8 at googlegroups.com>,
instructionset at gmail.com writes:

> I just checked. Update 10.0 is definitely current, came out end of 2014.

OK.  Hobbyists get openvms_alpha_8_4_Update500.zip.

Is there any DECwindows-related stuff in updates after this one?  If so,
maybe it could be made available to hobbyists.

I appreciate all of your suggestions, and I know that many of you are
waiting for the news.  :-)  However, I am just a hobbyist with VMS at
home and as such can't spend all my time on it.  (I do have a VMS day
job but that is Rdb and application support (for in-house written
software), i.e. no system management, no hardware (I haven't even seen
most of the hardware I use at work), very little programming.  Also, we
now have only Itanium there and I have only Alpha running at home (no
Itanium and VAXen are switched off).)

Here's my plan.  I'll check all the suggestions again in case it is a
quota or parameter problem.  Then I'll reboot from 7.3-2 to make sure
that it really is an 8.4 problem (or something which showed up in the
context of the upgrade---remember, it DID work after the upgrade until
the reboot).  If it works in 7.3-2 and not in 8.4, then I'll have to
test the other two nodes, which means setting up some graphics monitors
for them (not all boot servers have graphics monitors connected).  Of
course, this means I'll have to tweak DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER_SETUP.COM.  If
at least one of the two nodes still at 7.3-2 works with 8.4, then I'll
move all nodes to 8.4 since I'll have at least one with DECwindows
working.  If not, I'll move at most one to 8.4 so that I can still have
at least one at 7.3-2 with DECwindows.

If I can't get this solved by Monday evening, it will have to wait until
the end of July.  :-(