[Info-vax] grey screen of death

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Sun May 24 05:14:28 EDT 2015

In article <mjqlpp$glo$1 at dont-email.me>, David Froble
<davef at tsoft-inc.com> writes:

> > That is what I suspected, but a) the installation tries to figure this
> > out itself, b) normally error messages appear when they are not
> > sufficient and c) other folks are running fine with the same parameters.
>
> Those parameters are for the system, not a single process.

Right.  However, I have seen messages at startup complaining about too
low system parameters, so I would have expected that this time as well
if this were the problem.

> Are others running HBVS?

Three nodes in the cluster, essentially identically configured.  Yes,
HBVS.

> Are others running a cluster?

Yes, all in the same cluster.

> Are others running "whatever else you're running"?

Yes.

> Have you compared ALL the SYSGEN parameters from one of your older VMS
> versions with the V8.4 SYSGEN parameters?

Yes.  I did a DIFF of SETPARAMS.DAT for the current version and the last
version which worked.  I loaded the old values and it still didn't work.
I increased those new values which had gone down.  Still didn't work.

STARTUP_P2 is set tp CDP.

My newest idea is that there is some problem during the startup
sequence, which did not exist on 7.3-2, which is preventing the startup
of the relevant stuff from running.

Presumably I could start the stuff by hand by hand once the system is
up.  What should this be?

Comparing the processes on the 8.4 system to those on other nodes, it
seems that I am missing the following processes:

   DECW$TE_%%%%
   DTLOGIN
   DTGREET

How do these get started?

Could it possibly be a license problem?  (I'm sure I have all the
licenses I need, but the appropriate ones might not be loaded before
they are needed.)