[Info-vax] grey screen of death

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Sun May 24 11:19:08 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-24 14:58:10 +0000, David Froble said:

> Peter 'EPLAN' LANGSTOeGER wrote:
>
>> btw: Have you run SYS$UPDATE:LIBDECOMP already?
>
> I do hope VSI does away with this compression.

This particular compression, maybe.

> Distribution media is no longer a problem, and disk space should no
> longer be a problem.

OpenVMS I64 blew out the DVD distributions a while back, which was part
of the rationale for PCSI compression.

I'd not expect to see an optical-media upgrade on Itanium due to the
likely lack of DVD-DL or any of the less-ancient formats in the
available Itanium hardware configurations, and USB media boot was
somewhat sketchy in general and particularly sketchy on some of the
oldest of the Itanium servers.  Now if VSI decides to de-supports the
oldest servers, or let those folks figure out their own local
distributions?

Retail quantity-one name-brand prices on 32 GB USB3 flash was US$15 and
variously less, and figure a couple of dollars ordered direct from the
producers, but which still costs rather more in aggregate to produce
than DVD media.  Yes, there are good reasons to go with flash storage
over DVD, and there are those folks that do need or want and want to
pay for physical media distributions and that cannot go online for
whatever reason.

Apple went to fully online media distributions some years back, and
recent OS X systems ship with and many older systems can be upgraded
<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202313> to network boot directly
from Apple servers over the Internet
<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314>.

Whether VSI and Nemonix decide to implement Internet-remote InfoServer
boot via EFI as an option on their x86-64 servers?  Probably not.
(Nice value-add if they did, though.)