[Info-vax] grey screen of death

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Sun May 24 16:39:57 EDT 2015

In article <55623e59$1 at news.langstoeger.at>, peter at langstoeger.at (Peter
'EPLAN' LANGSTOeGER) writes:

> >> *) You have a dying X11 server on your Alpha
> >
> >It's not working; whether it is "dying" I don't know.
>
> Please find out. Do you have problems with your DECW$SERVER_0 process
> (it dies)

No; it doesn't die.

> or do you have problems with DTLOGIN not starting or dying?

Yes.  It starts then dies.  Apparently the message %SYSTEM-F-IMGDMP
comes from this.

> Grey is a symptom of a running (OpenVMS) X11 server, not of a died one.

I guess the X11 server is running but the login box is not.  I do see
the hourglass.

> I posted that I had a looping DECW$SERVER process (at prio 6!!) after
> an upgrade. But this was not in this thread, as it happened with V8.3
> (or V8.2?) already. And this was caused by leaving Open3D installed.
> Deinstall OPEN3D before upgrading to OpenVMS Alpha V8 (an API has changed).

I didn't de-install it before the 8.4 upgrade.  Is this really
necessary?  Is it mentioned in the release notes or upgrade guide?

> Why not use it this way? Have your Alpha in your basement, and a PC with
> an X11 server (why not excursion?) on your desk and a DECterm as the
> way to work with VMS (or even better a PC with PuTTY to login via SSH).

First, I don't have a PC.  I don't want one.  I have some experience
with X-servers on PCs and they are not good.  No, I haven't tried them
all.  But I don't want to run another entire system just to get around
this bug.  I want a proper keyboard as well!

> Define "Nothing there", no file there or no content that *you* find useful.

The same messages as under 7.3-2.

> And this was the DECW$SERVER_0 process or the DTLOGIN or the DTGREET or ...?

DTLOGIN.

> But not neccessarily a VMS ECO. Could be a MOTIF ECO as well.
> (Or as I found out a decade ago the hard way, deinstalling the OPEN3D kit ;-)

Open3D is not needed anymore?  Or does it have to be re-installed after
the upgrade?

I've never de-installed anything with VMSINSTAL.  :-(