[Info-vax] 8.4 and DECwindows CDE login box not coming up

johnwallace4 at yahoo.co.uk johnwallace4 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon May 25 05:39:47 EDT 2015

On Monday, 25 May 2015 09:57:35 UTC+1, Simon Clubley  wrote:
> On 2015-05-25, Jan-Erik Soderholm <jan-erik.soderholm at telia.com> wrote:
> >
> > Well, as I said, I know nothing... :-)
> >

> Well, _I_ know you are hosting Eurovision next year. Have fun. :-)
>

> > I'd also try a fresh 8.4 install on a clean scratch disk
> > on the same system just to verify the hardware.
> >

> And this is the serious point which needs making.
>
> Phillip, you have now spent so much time on this that this is the
> only reasonable course of action to take.
>
> At this point, this is _exactly_ what I would have done by now.
>
> Simon.
>
> --
> Simon Clubley, clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
> Microsoft: Bringing you 1980s technology to a 21st century world

Don't forget that somewhere in this saga, Phillip has recently
revealed that ACCOUNTING shows a number of potentially relevant
processes terminating with status of EXQUOTA. But he hasn't chosen
to provide the actual accounting details which would identify
processes and (hopefully) quotas involved. They might lead nowhere
anyway; faultfinding's like that sometimes.

The underlying problem might be hardware, it might not. A quick
test can be a useful test, if it rules something in or out, so
maybe a fresh reinstall would usefully prove the hardware is or
isn't OK in these respects with 8.4.

With the limited quantity of information here about what Phillip
can actually see (rather than what he imagines it means), we are
all somewhat in the dark, Phillip included.