[Info-vax] Do you (or someone you work with) sysman on Windows?

Paul Sture nospam at sture.ch
Mon May 25 17:34:53 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-25, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
<helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de> wrote:
> In article <mjvbv2$vg$1 at dont-email.me>, Stephen Hoffman
><seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid> writes:
>
>> Jan-Erik and a number of existing environments will probably never move
>> to clean-install processing, but other folks I'm dealing with are
>> interested, and particularly when dealing with more than one.  Once you
>> get around to deploying 300 OpenVMS servers, the Old Ways Of Doing
>> Things get... annoyingly tedious.  (That deployment number is NOT made
>> up nor picked from the air, either.)
>
> If there is little customization, sure, always do a clean install,
> perhaps automated somehow.  But if there is customization, repeating
> this 300 times is much less than figuring out a strategy to clone disks
> cleanly.  (Hopefully, I'll soon be able to test if mine works.)

I'll disagree here.  It's not just the initial rollout but the maintenance
thereafter.  If you do it right, there will be significant savings in
both.

In fact I wouldn't mind tackling that particular job myself :-)

--
I don't know what the language of the year 2000 will look like, but I
know it will be called Fortran.                    -- Tony Hoare 1982