[Info-vax] BASIC compiler in the hobbyist distribution

Craig A. Berry craigberry at nospam.mac.com
Tue May 26 20:07:42 EDT 2015

On 5/26/15 11:59 AM, David Froble wrote:
> seasoned_geek wrote:
>
>> The more OpenSource is ported to OpenVMS the fewer customers VMS
>> (open or otherwise) will have. This is a historical fact most people
>> seem to choose to ignore.

I've been ignoring it because it's just FUD. I know there are people who
have managed to stay with VMS much longer than they otherwise would have
simply because they were able to find an open source solution to a
problem they had.

 >> Before OpenSource was ported to OpenVMS it
>> was banned from Black Hat conferences. After OpenSource got ported to
>> OpenVMS, providing the same 8-lane wide security breaches fake
>> operating systems have it was welcomed back with open arms.
>
> This indicates to me that the hackers are targeting the open source
> stuff more than the OS itself.

It just means that even very good security researchers can't do much
with a piece of alienware they've never heard of, but once they get a
chance to go digging, they do find things, things such as the SMG bug, a
day 1 bug that took decades to discover because no one was looking.
The DEFCON situation had absolutely nothing to do with open source in
any credible version I've heard.