[Info-vax] interactively edit PDF files on VMS?

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Wed May 27 03:05:02 EDT 2015

In article <5564f3a2$0$21240$e4fe514c at dreader37.news.xs4all.nl>, MG
<marcogbNO at SPAMxs4all.nl> writes:

> > LaTeX is very portable.  Sure, one can "package" it to make it easier
> > to set up on VMS, but LaTeX itself is portable---text files for
> > configuration, portable code, etc.
>
> I'm actually a big proponent and fan of TeX/LaTeX, derivatives and spin-
> offs.  It's too bad it seemingly began to decline, approximately during
> the AXP age (in my estimation).  But perhaps that's also because
> DECdocument stole its thunder?  (It was apparently good enough for DEC,
> Compaq and HP for authoring manuals and such, from what I understand.)

I think that the competition between LaTeX and DECdocument (which IIRC
uses TeX internally) is essentially zero.

The main users of LaTeX are the academic community, and VMS has declined
here much more than elsewhere.  About 25 years ago VMS might have been
more common in academia than unix.  By the late 1990s, at the latest, it
had essentially disappeared.