[Info-vax] BASIC compiler in the hobbyist distribution

Bill Gunshannon bill at server3.cs.scranton.edu
Wed May 27 08:04:23 EDT 2015

In article <ivbg3c-tkr.ln1 at news.chingola.ch>,
	Paul Sture <nospam at sture.ch> writes:
> On 2015-05-26, David Froble <davef at tsoft-inc.com> wrote:
>

>> Frankly, I don't see where geek's argument is coming from.  HW is HW, it
>> does what it's told to do.  Unless I'm entirely clueless (as some have
>> claimed) I don't see where x86 (other than being a poorly implemented
>> but very well developed CPU) is any different from others.
>
> One famous case is of course Porsche, who persevered with an inherently
> unstable design (rear mounted engine) and made it work.

Having driven numerous rear and mid engined sports cars, I would love to
know where the notion that this is an "inherently unstable design" came
from.  Ralph Nader, who condemned the Corvair (6 cylinder pancake engine
rear mounted, like a 911) and was treated as a god even after admitting
that he had never driven a car much less the ones he attacked.

Probably came from the same people who foisted front wheel drive on
an unsuspecting public under the notion that "traction would be better
because there is more weight on the front wheels" even though the
vehicular center of gravity is the same for both front and rear wheel
drive cars.  The only exception is the pickup truck but then it is
designed to be a work truck with the bed loaded and not a status
symbol that never carries anything for fear of getting dirty.

bill

billg999 at cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |