[Info-vax] BASIC compiler in the hobbyist distribution

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Thu May 28 13:20:27 EDT 2015

Bob Koehler wrote:
> In article <mk4um4$214$1 at dont-email.me>, David Froble <davef at tsoft-inc.com> writes:
>> When DEC listened to it's customers, it did well.  When DEC started
>> telling it's customers what to do, they didn't do so well.
>
>    DEC was listening to a customer when they built the VAX 9000.

If I remember correctly, the 9000 was not DEC's first experience with
ECL.  ECL had been around for a while, and for that while was considered
rather fast.

Again, from memory, it's been a while, DEC began the 9000 just before
the microprocessors were taking over.  Really bad timing.  It happens.
We really don't know the when and what of new things until they happen.

At the time DEC was #2, and they desired to take shots at #1, IBM.  In
hindsight, that was also poor judgment.  Better if they would have stuck
to what got them to that point.

Even when the N-VAX and it's predecessors were doing well, DEC stuck
with charging big bucks, still looking at IBM.  They should have been
watching behind themselves.  That's where the real competition was.