[Info-vax] BASIC compiler in the hobbyist distribution

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Fri May 29 11:02:05 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-29 13:31:21 +0000, lists at openmailbox.org said:

> ... deletia...

Looking out ten or fifteen years...

...picking the OpenVMS porting target of either x86-64 or some other
architecture, POWER is the much bigger gamble, and with far fewer
hardware options available.  VSI has already stated x86-64 is the
target, and that there are future considerations around ARM.

...There are certainly good technical reasons why folks might or will
prefer POWER or some other architecture over x86-64 — but in the end,
anybody providing an operating system product still has to make the
financial case work.  Very few vendors have the cash to compete head-on
with Intel and survive.  (Which is why ARM and AArch64 is interesting
to me and to at least some other folks; their designs have large
volumes, and they're (still) not competing head-on with Intel.  But I
digress.)  From all the data that I can see, the trends for POWER are
headed in the wrong direction.

...ARM with AArch64 isn't quite there yet as a viable volume hardware
target — not the least until the performance increases a little more —
Intel x86-64 is pretty speedy — and until there's better consistency
via SBSA or some follow-on that gets more widely adopted and
established.  Linux is pushing for something like SBSA or a
dependably-available generic core interface pretty hard, as would any
other software platform looking to support more systems with less
system-specific code.  But I digress.

...looking for customer ports from AIX or another Unix to OpenVMS is
not going to have enough of a sales volume to matter.  Not up front,
and not without a whole lot of open source on OpenVMS.   AIX is much
more likely to port elsewhere — I won't confuse the discussion with any
further references to more likely but-unlikely porting targets — if an
AIX customer does decide to port.  Again, this was the core of my
comments intended for seasoned_geek.

...Any growth that VSI will obtain will be largely be intrinsic sources
, with fewer new customers arriving on OpenVMS by porting from another
box.   Eventually, VSI would like to see major vendors porting large
applications to (or back to) OpenVMS.  That's a much longer-term
investment, and a much longer-term project.  Once OpenVMS is on x86-64
and the team gets rolling on enhancements, then maybe five years before
enough of the vendors might get interested.

...As much as technical arguments are interesting, it's the financials
and the financial trends that matter to commercial providers.  If the
finances don't work out, the technical arguments are irrelevant.   The
projects and products and services are disbanded.