[Info-vax] BASIC compiler in the hobbyist distribution

lists at openmailbox.org lists at openmailbox.org
Sat May 30 14:56:33 EDT 2015

On Sat, 30 May 2015 10:06:21 -0700 (PDT)
seasoned_geek via Info-vax <info-vax at rbnsn.com> wrote:

> On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 6:40:06 AM UTC-5, li... at openmailbox.org wrote:
> > On Thu, 28 May 2015 20:04:41 -0400
> > Stephen Hoffman via Info-vax <info-vax at rbnsn.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Ayup.  I'd expect those AIX folks to head to Linux or to System z, if
> > > they decided to port off of the current POWER systems.  Some few
> > > might go to Solaris or BSD or to some other Unix.
> >
> > AIX -> z is an absolute non starter.
> >
> > First of all the costs and capabilities of z so far exceed AIX there
> > isn't any discussion at all. If they needed z they would already be on
> > it. AIX is competition for other commercial UNIX. That market is mighty
> > thin these days.
>
> OS/400 people "might" be able to migrate to Zos. I know much of the
> OS/400 accounts in this area were using RPG and Synon (sp?). I don't know
> of an RPG compiler for Linux but there could be some standards based
> front end for GNU which won't have IBM extensions or support EBCDIC.

There is no RPG on z/OS and there is nothing in common between the AS/400
OS or hardware, and z/OS or z hardware except they both use electricty.
There is just nothing else in common.

And when in the history of the world have we ever seen people decide, "you
know what? This $10,000 box and the $2,000 applications running on it just
aren't fun anymore. Let's spend a half million bucks on a new z box and one
to two hundred thousand bucks for each new application and just have fun."

There is no RPG running on z AFAIK. Anybody running the Pig runs it on an i
(new AS/400) box. I have no idea what synon is.

> AS/400 was the grandchild of S/36 and possibly S/34.

Yes, I was expecting Glen to object to that. S/34, S/36, then AS/400, then
iSeries. I meant grandchild but wrote grandpa. Hit the send key and
couldn't do anything about it. Apologies for offending anyone's
sensibilities. Completely unintentional.