[Info-vax] BASIC compiler in the hobbyist distribution

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Sat May 30 18:46:54 EDT 2015

JF Mezei wrote:
> On 15-05-30 13:34, David Froble wrote:
>
>> The performance difference isn't that great.  Unless you require single
>> processor performance, you can usually purchase 2 AMD chips for the cost
>> of one Intel chip.
>

> Sockets on motherboards are expensive, and having multiple sockets has
> performance disadvantages with regards to memory access and especially
> shared cache between cores on the same chip.

I'm not everybody.  What I can say is that I doubt I'll ever be able to
use that many cores.  Single socket is fine for me.  I think I'm talking
for all my customers.  But, never say "never" ....

> AMD had its 15 secodns of fame when it pushed intel to produce a 64 bit
> 8086. But since then, they seem to have languished in the CPU market.

Seriously, go look at benchmarks.  How large is the gap?  When someone
wins at Lemans by a car length, how big is that gap over 24 hours?

Then look at the prices.  On price / performance, AMD is usually far
ahead.  True, they have to keep prices low.  But isn't that what we've
all asked for for many years?

Just an example:

AMD Opteron 6320 Abu Dhabi 2.8GHz 8MB L2 Cache 16MB L3 Cache   $290

Intel Xeon E5-2630 v3 Haswell-EP 2.4GHz 8 x 256KB L2 Cache 20MB L3 Cache
LGA 2011-3 85W BX80644E52630V3 Server Processor  $680

Two 8 core chips.  Neither top of the line.  But the Intel chip is over
twice the cost of the AMD chip.  Do you really think it has more than
twice the performance?

No, I didn't spend the time to get actual benchmark figures.

> On the bright side, Bob GQ Palmer is no longer on their board:
> http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=irol-govcommcomp
>
> Unfortunatly, Curly Capellas is still on the Board at Cisco. Biggest
> mistake Cisco ever made.

It sometimes bothers me that f**kups can come out so far ahead ....