[Info-vax] ITIC 2014 - 2015 Global Server Hardware, Server OS Reliability Report (was Re: BASIC compiler in the hobbyist distribution)

seasoned_geek roland at logikalsolutions.com
Sun May 31 20:00:13 EDT 2015

On Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 4:29:40 PM UTC-5, Stephen Hoffman wrote:
> http://www.lenovo.com/images/products/system-x/pdfs/analyst-reports/XSL03126USEN.PDF

====
A 58% majority of IBM servers achieved “five nines” or 99.999%
availability
–
the equivalent of 5.25 minutes of unplanned per server downtime compared to 46%
of
Hewlett
-
Packard servers and 40% of Oracle server hardware
====

So, 42% did not get 5 9s and people consider that good?

====
and retain their server hardware for 4 1⁄2 to sometimes 6+ years
without retro-fitting, upgrading.
====

That's a really short lifespan for the VMS shops I'm used to dealing with. 6 years is barely broken in for them. You must have missed that post about the client from the east coast which contacted me about performing a VAX to Alpha migration this year.

That report has some __really__ conflicting wording.

====
IBM’s System z Enterprise high end mainframe class server was the only major mainstream hardware platform that had no – 0% - unplanned server outages of over four (4) hours duration.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, while Dell and Hewlett-Packard both received high marks for customer satisfaction, the Dell PowerEdge and HP ProLiant model servers recorded the highest percentage of unplanned downtime exceeding four (4) hours.
====

When they are talking about System Z they are talking about 4 hours duration.

They appear to be talking about the same 4 hour outage for ProLiant.

Then they do a different metric talking about per annum

====
  Some 13% of Dell’s workhorse PowerEdge systems and 10% of HP ProLiant servers experienced over four (4) hours of per server/per annum unplanned downtime.
====

So, some subset, possibly as high as 9.999% had outages of 4+ hours in a single outage, then the remainder of that 10% had outages totally 4+ hours.

I love this line!!!!

=====
A 79% majority of corporations now require a minimum of 99.99% uptime or better for mission critical hardware, operating systems & main line of business (LOB) applications, up from 67% in 2012 - 2013 survey.
=====

So, 79% claim to require it and _at best_ 58% get it. So much for that requirement.

This is much more readable than that slide show though. Until I looked at this version I didn't realize how much the numbers didn't add up. This is like Enron accounting.