[Info-vax] ITIC 2014 - 2015 Global Server Hardware, Server OS Reliability Report (was Re: BASIC compiler in the hobbyist distribution)

JF Mezei jfmezei.spamnot at vaxination.ca
Sun May 31 22:03:07 EDT 2015

On 15-05-31 21:43, David Froble wrote:

> VAX isn't available, or 64 bits, or capable ...
>
> Do you have any other options I don't know about?

Just out of curiosity here.

If one were to take Alpha EV7 designs, instruction/pipelining etc, and
do a process shrink to make it work on the latest process, would it be
competitive to current chips on a per core basis ?

In other words, apart from process shrinks and clock boosts in the alst
10 years, what else has Alpha missed out on since EV7 ?

Obviously, one would want at least quadcore Alpha today if it wsere
resurrected, so that involves some caching and memory systenm redesign.
But from an instruction processing point of view, is EV7's logic still
considered state of the art today ?