[Info-vax] Should VSI create a security bug bounty program for VMS ?

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Thu Sep 1 10:33:02 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-01 13:13:41 +0000, Simon Clubley said:

> I'm thinking more about what's going to attract security researchers to
> invest time in looking at VMS in the first place and the fact it's
> something different and with this strong security message from it's
> vendors is really good motiviation for those researchers.

That there's financial data or credit card data or sensitive
information on the platform is a larger incentive, these days.
Attacks are increasingly financial.   Attacks are business.   Attackers
can jump firewalls.

As for the future of OpenVMS and security, VSI has the talents to do a
security review of the product, and there are external entities that
offer that service.   But VSI has project priorities secondary to
budget constraints, and— irrespective of the marketing, and outside of
finally deprecating that mess with the ACME and non-ACME LOGINOUT
images — I suspect security enhancements are not at the top of the
development schedule.  Clair's (proverbial?) whiteboard of projects is
undoubtedly a long one, and VSI is comparatively a very tiny team with
comparatively tiny funding for a project of the scale of a proprietary
server operating system.

Cleaning up some of the proverbial low-hanging fruit will help, as will
migrating from cleartext to encrypted and authenticated data stores and
network transports.    Just getting to current open source packages
will take some hunks out of the list of CVEs applicable against
OpenVMS.  CVEs that aren't listed on that VSI marketing page, BTW.

> I wasn't aware of that comment thanks. It confirms my position that if
> VSI continue saying the kinds of things that they are currently saying,
> then they need to be aware of what is going to happen and how they
> _seriously_ need to up their game in preparation for when it does.

Ayup.  Why do you think I've been commenting about OpenVMS security in
recent years?    Was that all too staid?   Too subtle?

The "integration" of certificates, SSL, encryption, TCP and related is
a complete and utter disaster, but I'm being polite.

For those that don't believe me or that reasonably wish to
independently verify my comments?   Go try to use it and see how well
OpenVMS and TCP/IP Services and SSL and SSL1 and Apache and ENCRYPT and
LDAP and Kerberos and password storage and disk encryption and CDSA and
related pieces are all (not) integrated.    Use the tools.    I ran
into problems with the CA tools in OpenVMS, and ended up writing my own
to show how the pieces worked.   And getting a subset of the disjoint
APIs semi-accessible from BASIC and Fortran is no joy, either.
http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/1853

There are other areas of OpenVMS that need careful investigation and
remediation and/or updates, such as the now-seriously-far-too-efficient
Purdy password hash (e.g. too fast means too weak) and which I've
mentioned as one of the a compatibility-killing problems in OpenVMS.
There's the baroque patch notification, distribution and installation
process, and the lack of integrated (opt-in) system and application
crash uploads, ASLR and sandboxes and related.    (System and
application crashes can very much be security relevant, as well as to
general stability and availability.)

Then ponder that HPE and VSI have reworked their own "secure
distribution" — formerly built on CDSA — to avoid using CDSA, so what's
that tell you about what HPE and VSI think about the security provided
by CDSA?

Programming reasonably secure server and network apps on OpenVMS is
comparatively difficult.   There are only comparatively limited means
to isolate apps that are found vulnerable.  You have to build and
maintain your own CA or your own root store.   There's also weak
examples, and little in the way of documentation or a guide for
application development, as the security manual and the programming
concepts manual handling of app security is probably twenty years out
of date.   That's before discussing the morass that is the security
APIs and the lack of integration among the various pieces.

If there's an overarching design of how the application security APIs
and tools are supposed to work, why are there so many different places
I need to put the certificates?

SSL and SSL1 is a whole 'nother issue.  That adventure required more
than a little rework in build procedures.

After using systems where this better integrated, with central password
stores and integrated TLS networking and certificate verification and
revocation mechanisms integrated, the OpenVMS approach to security is
far from clear and far from simple.   Sure, you can build all this and
all the pieces are certainly available, but — like working in machine
code or assembler — it's way more work, and with few (and unfortunately
very sketchy)  examples.    Complex and arcane and bespoke security
code usually means there will be security problems, too.    That the
clarity and simplicity of the OpenVMS APIs in general also needs more
than a little remedial work work is another matter, and a different
rant.