[Info-vax] Chiphead News: Intel announces new Kaby Lake processors

IanD iloveopenvms at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 19:31:32 EDT 2016

On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 8:53:51 PM UTC+10, Neil Rieck wrote:
> Intel announces new Kaby Lake: Built on 14nm+, with improved video decode and better top-end frequencies
>
> http://www.extremetech.com/computing/234733-intel-announces-new-kaby-lake-built-on-14nm-with-improved-video-decode-and-better-top-end-frequencies
>
> Today, Intel announced its upcoming Kaby Lake hardware refresh. This launch is the first iteration of Intel’s new Process – Architecture – Optimization strategy (dubbed PAO) that replaced Tick-Tock earlier this year. It’s a change driven by the realities of lithography. As die shrinks have become more difficult, it now takes longer to move from one node to the next. This difficulty is somewhat exacerbated for Intel because it continues to perform full node shrinks rather than relying on hybrid process nodes like TSMC and Samsung.
>
> Neil Rieck
> Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
> http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/docs/openvms_notes_itanium_diary.html

Interesting

I wonder how much of this technology is going to make it's way to the server cpu's?

Speedshift is going to require some rather interesting code. I believe it requires the OS to hand over control to the CPU for certain burst cycles?

Clock speeds are diminishing, and Intel is looking internally within the cpu to extract every speed aspect it can from the cpu and how it can optimise even tiny compute changes. The announced cpu has more video decoding goodness built in

Linux has always been fast because it is lean and OpenVMS the slow beast except for a brief time when Alpha ruled the world

I'm really looking forward to seeing how OpenVMS behaves against linux when the two OS are running on the same bit of silicone.

I know to start with, OpenVMS will be pretty much a straight port (at what specific processor I wonder?) and will not be optimised to take advantage of the latest and greatest offerings from Intel / AMD but in the years ahead, it will be interesting to see if any of the OpenVMS internal design enables OpenVMS to pull ahead of linux in certain areas? (speaking from a total lack of linux internal knowledge of course!)