[Info-vax] OpenSSL 1.1.0 released

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Wed Sep 7 11:58:57 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-07 11:59:01 +0000, Richard Levitte said:

> Den tisdag 6 september 2016 kl. 19:52:29 UTC+2 skrev Stephen Hoffman:
>> On 2016-09-06 15:38:46 +0000, Craig A. Berry said:
>>
>>> Quirky, but documented.  There is a little more info in the v8.4
>>> on-line help under PRODUCT PACKAGE/MATERIAL than there was in in the
>>> 7.3-2 era docs I cited earlier:
>>
>> Ayup, quite true.
>>
>> More folks have become disabused to the "fix it in documentation" notion.
>
> Sounds like a feature (see meaning number 6 in
> http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/F/feature.html) ;-)

I'd infer either short-sighted or schedule-constrained development
work, here.    That being polite phrasing for what amounts to a short
cut or software expediency.

These sorts of cases — the lack of schedule and the willingness to
refractor or to rework or to iterate, even the ability to recognize
that there are design or implementation problems — are unfortunately
common in enterprise software and hardware.   Some can be subtle.  Ever
notice the I/O ports on some server don't have any semblance of
organization on the I/O bulkhead, or the connectors themselves are
oriented such that you can't easily get at the latches or the labels,
for instance?     The very different consoles on Integrity Itanium
(iLO, BMC, EFI)?   Software itself either gets rethought and refactored
for new needs and new users and uses, or the accretion simply hardens
into brittleness and cryptic arcana.   But I digress.

IMO, this is a bug in PCSI.  This is a very nicely documented bug, but
it's still a bug.   Barring extenuating circumstances, good software
should not allow users to trigger surprise corruptions.