[Info-vax] September 6, 2016 - new Roadmap and State of the Port updates now on VSI website

Dirk Munk munk at home.nl
Wed Sep 7 20:07:00 EDT 2016

clairgrant71 at gmail.com wrote:
> As promised......first week in September updates.

A few things that I noticed:

Your slides say that VMS 8.4.2 supports 64 cores, however the Quickspecs
say 32 cores. I suppose the Quickspecs are wrong?

I had a look at Appendix A of the Quickspecs. The list of LAN adapters
starts with PCI devices. OK, it's better then ISA, but not much. Perhaps
you should divide the lists into modern PCIe adapters and legacy PCI-X
en PCI adapters, and start with the modern ones. It certainly would look
a whole lot better then starting with a list of antiques.

On the list of released BOE components I see a lot of very new releases,
but what is new about them? I can't find quickspecs....

You're also looking at PTP, the Precision (not Pression) Time Protocol.
I suppose that you need completely new LAN adapter drivers for this,
since PTP needs its own API with a NIC. However I suppose PTP could be
quite useful for systems for the financial world.