[Info-vax] September 6, 2016 - new Roadmap and State of the Port updates now on VSI website

Kerry Main kemain.nospam at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 15:05:28 EDT 2016

Erlang is definitely making waves in some quarters.  Brett
Cameron at VSI is the right resource to contact if you
want more info on Erlang on OpenVMS.

For those that use the Whatsapp messaging app on their
phone (along with 900M of your closest friends), it was
written in Erlang running on FreeBSD. With a total dev
staff of 50 engineers. It's now owned by Facebook.

Reference:
https://www.wired.com/2015/09/whatsapp-serves-900-million-
users-50-engineers/
" WhatsApp is owned by Facebook, after Zuckerberg and
company paid $19 billion for the startup a little more
than a year ago."

"Part of the trick is that the company builds its service
using a programming language called Erlang. Though not all
that popular across the wider coding community, Erlang is
particularly well suited to juggling communications from a
huge number of users, and it lets engineers deploy new
code on the fly. But Mahdavi says that the trick is as
much about attitude as technology."

https://www.erlang.org/
"Erlang is a programming language used to build massively
scalable soft real-time systems with requirements on high
availability. Some of its uses are in telecoms, banking,
e-commerce, computer telephony and instant messaging.
Erlang's runtime system has built-in support for
concurrency, distribution and fault tolerance."

Regards,

Kerry Main
Kerry dot main at starkgaming dot com