[Info-vax] LLVM, was: Re: Chiphead News: Intel announces new Kaby Lake processors

Simon Clubley clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
Thu Sep 8 15:08:17 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-07, clairgrant71 at gmail.com <clairgrant71 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 3:45:56 PM UTC-4, Simon Clubley wrote:
>>
>> If you want a real world workload, try building the LLVM (and clang)
>> kits from source. Throw in some of the other core LLVM projects for
>> good measure if you wish such as LLVM's version of the C++ standard
>> library.
>>

> LLVM is certainly a beast but we have found it to have nice tools
> for development and debugging.

I certainly agree with that; LLVM is _way_ better than trying to do
compiler development work with gcc. I just wish LLVM wasn't so
resource hungry.

>> Don't bother with dragonegg however as it appears to be stale:
>
> We are definitely disappointed in the apparent fate of dragonegg.

Agreed. It did always feel to me like an hybrid however and one where
the releases were tied so strongly to specific gcc versions. It would
be nice to see the gcc front end languages not currently supported by
LLVM directly implemented as native LLVM front ends.

I know there's movement in the Fortran world and it would be nice to
see movement in the Ada world.

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley, clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP