[Info-vax] September 6, 2016 - new Roadmap and State of the Port updates now on VSI website

Dirk Munk munk at home.nl
Fri Sep 9 06:02:37 EDT 2016

David Froble wrote:
> clairgrant71 at gmail.com wrote:
>>>>
>>> A few things that I noticed:
>>>
>>> Your slides say that VMS 8.4.2 supports 64 cores, however the
>>> Quickspecs say 32 cores. I suppose the Quickspecs are wrong?
>>>

>> Yes, the Quickspecs are wrong.
>>> I had a look at Appendix A of the Quickspecs. The list of LAN
>>> adapters starts with PCI devices. OK, it's better then ISA, but not
>>> much. Perhaps you should divide the lists into modern PCIe adapters
>>> and legacy PCI-X en PCI adapters, and start with the modern ones. It
>>> certainly would look a whole lot better then starting with a list of
>>> antiques.
>>>

>> I'll pass your Quickspecs comments to those who update them.
>
> Some of us think in forward chronological order, not reverse.  It's like
> top posting rather than bottom posting in an email.
>
> I'm happy with oldest first.

Really. I don't even know where to put those PCI and PCI-X adapters. The
only new Itanium rack system that HPE is selling *and* is certified for
VMS, is the RX2800. It doesn't have PCI or PCI-X slots........

I wonder is there is any Itanium system with PCI or PCI-X slots, perhaps
this list of adapters was copied from the HP Alpha quickspecs for VMS 8.4??

Since VSI is only selling VMS for Itanium, I wonder if these PCI and
PCI-X adapters should be listed at all.