[Info-vax] September 6, 2016 - new Roadmap and State of the Port updates now on VSI website

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Fri Sep 9 10:38:43 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-09 14:14:58 +0000, John Reagan said:

> As Steve said, there are abstractions above the calls to LIB$GET_VM and
> LIB$MALLOC.  You wouldn't expect to do a NEW in Pascal, pass the
> pointer to a C routine and do a free(), would you?

I work in another development environment where passing around objects
in that fashion is the norm.   Allocated by a system or library call or
a user routine, and passed around or copied or retained as needed, and
eventually released by user code.   This is a central part of the
difference between non-OO and non-GC and OO and GC environments, and
it's certainly good fodder for the VSI advanced development team.