[Info-vax] September 6, 2016 - new Roadmap and State of the Port updates now on VSI website

Paul Sture nospam at sture.ch
Sat Sep 10 13:45:42 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-10, David Froble <davef at tsoft-inc.com> wrote:
> johnwallace4 at yahoo.co.uk wrote:

>> I guess you weren't a fan of VMS POSIX then?
>
> Nope!
>
>> If it had lasted, if the customers who said they wanted open standards
>> had walked the walk as well as talked the talk, many of the "porting"
>> and "tools" issues being discussed round here would have been non-issues.
>
> If what one wants is *ix, then why not just use *ix?

Unfortunately there are lots of *nix goodies which are quite useful, and
these tend to be well tested, with most corner or edge cases addressed.

Port or reinvent the wheel?  Your choice of course, and given your
aversion to C, which I do understand, there can be a solid case for
rewriting into another language for maintainability, but then you have
got something you have to maintain yourself.

And during your rewrite, did you manage to address existing security
holes in the original product?  While a simple rewrite into another
language should eliminate typical C gotchas, it won't address things
like the version of SSL you are calling being retired due to security
issues.

--
It was untidy, so got unplugged.
It was unplugged, so got thrown away.