[Info-vax] GNU vs VMS diff, was: Re: September 6, 2016 - new Roadmap and State of the Port updates now on VSI website

Simon Clubley clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
Sun Sep 11 10:23:29 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-11, IanD <iloveopenvms at gmail.com> wrote:

> I didn't realise the nix diff tool was superior to OpenVMS's. Time
> to have a look I think

A couple of things for you to try:

Start by comparing two files with "diff -u" and compare the readability
of that output with the output generated by VMS diff.

Next, copy a directory tree to another location and then make some
random changes to the files in the copy. Now compare the two trees
using "diff -ur".

Reading through the man page for GNU diff may reveal other options of
interest to you.

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley, clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP