[Info-vax] September 6, 2016 - new Roadmap and State of the Port updates now on VSI website

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Sun Sep 11 10:49:49 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-11 13:33:38 +0000, Chris said:

> On 09/11/16 00:36, David Froble wrote:
>
>> If people want to port *ix software, fine, no problem. But, when I get
>> a bit testy is when they start to blame any issues on VMS, and not on
>> the original product that would appear to have been written without any
>> concern for portability.
>
> Systems don't exist in isolation, but depend on all the surrounding
> infrastructure.
> It's now at the stage where the industry and users take it for granted
> that open source packages will be available for the os they are using.

The operating system has become a "bag of drivers" and "just another
dependency".

This is at the core of VM-based guests, of app stacking, and of server
and application hosting and re-hosting.

The fewer differences and fewer dependences I have for (or I need for)
my applications, the better.   Consolidation.