[Info-vax] VMS and the Internet of Things (IoT)

Kerry Main kemain.nospam at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 14:35:20 EDT 2016

and
> (hopefully) a
> > new licensing model with V9+ versions designed to
> compete with other
> > OS's on the X86-64 platform.
>
> Call back when at least some of that's available, and
when
> the x86-64
> product prices and related data is published?
>
> > I view today's world as being a transition period
where
> VSI is rapidly
> > gearing up to address the requirements of the future.
> >
> > Remember - No matter what technology is leading in
> market share today,
> > it will be replaced at some point in the future with
> something else.
>
> Or it won't be needed.
>
> > The world is changing from a very distributed world to
> one that may
> > still maintain a tiered App model, but these tiers are
> being physically
> > deployed on heavily centralized physical server
> infrastructures with TB
> > of local memory. I would also suggest we may also
start
> seeing these
> > tiers being consolidated as well in order to reduce
> overall solution
> > latency.
>
> I think I just won buzzword bingo.

No, it's called reading latest whitepapers from many
sources and looking at what Customers are doing in major
DC consolidation projects (which I have done plenty of).

It's called looking at what Google is doing with big core
PowerX systems.

> > OpenVMS may not have that many advantages in a
> heavily distributed
> > world of the past 20 years, but it sure has loads of
> experience in a
> > heavily centralized world.
>
> OpenVMS has to get there first.
>
> > Heck, the future is wide open for new solutions.
> > :-)
>
> Sure.   Being behind in a competitive market isn't a fun
> place to be,
> as you're largely left to compete on price, or exit.
If you
> haven't
> entirely missed the market window for whatever you're
> looking to sell.

Just look at Apple's history (which includes a complete OS
platform change) .. small company to top of the market  to
almost broke to top of the market .. now fighting with
Samsung.

If one keeps saying "we are doomed", then they surely will
be.

If Microsoft had that attitude, WordPerfect would still be
the standard word processing product in the industry.
Those that have some grey hair will remember that back in
the day , there was no more entrenched product than
WordPerfect.

Nothing stays on top forever.

Regards,

Kerry Main