[Info-vax] VMS and the Internet of Things (IoT)

Kerry Main kemain.nospam at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 14:39:48 EDT 2016

features
> and
> > (hopefully) a new licensing model with V9+ versions
> designed to
> > compete with other OS's on the X86-64 platform.
> >

> I'm confused. Are you suggesting that VMS can occupy the
> middle tier
> in my 3 tier model and be the OS that runs inside the
> controller box
> which is located within the facility itself and which
talks
> directly
> to the sensors ?
>
> If that's the case, I'm curious how much embedded
> knowledge you have
> because I am absolutely not seeing VMS as being suitable
> for that
> position for these reasons:
>
> 1) It would have to run on ARM for one thing (x86-64 is
so
> overpowered
> by comparison, and with power and hardware space
> requirements to match,
> that it would be like using a supercomputer to calculate
> your payroll),

You missed my earlier comment in this thread -

" My references to OpenVMS and IoT were in respect to
OpenVMS and future architectures - coming (X86-64) and
potential (ARM). This would be post OpenVMS V9+ (ARM -
V10?) - after the new file system and new TCPIP stack.
X86-64 in small boxes/appliances are valid thin "smart"
clients just as much as lower power ARM devices in even
smaller thin client "smart" devices are likely. "

[snip..]

Regards,

Kerry Main
Kerry dot main at starkgaming dot com