[Info-vax] VMS and the Internet of Things (IoT)

Kerry Main kemain.nospam at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 12:55:03 EDT 2016

Things
> (IoT)
>
> On 2016-09-12 13:34:21 +0000, Kerry Main said:
> >
> > Does this answer the question of being capable of
> addressing the
> > mid-tier layer in the IoT world??
>
> No, because we don't live in that world any more.
> Running SCADA systems is a very different thing than
> dealing with highly integrated small scale machines.
>
> And... having done factory automation work in the
> eighties using VMS as the second tier, I can
certainly
> attest that VMS isn't even the right tool for that
job.  It
> worked, but boy was it painful and boy did we wish
for
> RT-11 back....
> --scott

Yes, OpenVMS is not as popular in these environments as
it used to be. Lots of reasons.

All I can say is there are many manufacturing and other
mission critical environments that had different
experiences than yours.

Heck, there are still mfging sites using small
standalone VAX's for process control because they are
so rock solid.

As I am sure you know, one these mfging sites have a
solution that works, they will stick with it as long as
they can.

Regards,

Kerry Main
Kerry dot main at starkgaming dot com