[Info-vax] VMS and the Internet of Things (IoT)

Simon Clubley clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
Mon Sep 12 16:14:41 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-12, Chris <xxx.syseng.yyy at gfsys.co.uk> wrote:
> On 09/11/16 10:16, Simon Clubley wrote:
>
><snip>
>

>> So that's my take on the IoT. What's yours and where do you see a
>> possible place for VMS within the IoT world ?
>>
>> Simon.
>>

> There's a lot of hype around this, a classic case being the front
> page of the Oxford Times (Oxford, Uk) this week, which describes
> a 3000 house "Futuristic City", with driverless cars and
> "intelligent buildings". Then goes on to say how the buildings will
> be "connected digitally", whatever that means. Pure hype to try to
> sell a "follow the money" project for business, as usual, using a
> few tech buzzwords to make it sound glamorous and futuristic.

It's nonsense like this which overshadows the valid usage cases
(assuming those usage cases were implemented correctly and with
proper security).

> A More concrete example is of course, the smart metering project
> that's being rolled out across the uk. We do embedded systems
> here, so it's of interest to me in terms of the technology used. All
> the docs are available online, but from the spec, looks like vast
> overkill just to gather gas / electricity meter readings.

For anyone interested in knowing more about this, here is the
latest update from The Register:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/09/smart_meters_just_get_them_smart_energy_gb_lobbyist/

Some of the comments are well worth a read.

[snip]

> As for VMS, I see no roll at all. It's too expensive, functionally
> deficient in many areas and arcane in it's user interface. If VSI
> are really serious about making it mainstream, it must have all
> mainstream computing facilities that everyone else in the industry
> takes for granted these days. I really would like to see a
> resurgence and the opportunity to use it again, but seems like
> there's along way to go...

It's only possibly viable use is in any remote server systems that
the onsite IoT systems may need to talk to. I am just not seeing
any other possibly viable use for VMS in the whole IoT setup.

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley, clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP