[Info-vax] "bad select 38" (OpenSSL on VMS)

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Tue Sep 13 18:55:18 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-13 22:31:07 +0000, John Reagan said:

> There is a CRTL feature logical to ask select() to ignore file
> descriptors instead of causing an error.  I don't have it on-hand, I'm
> at the hospital visiting my father.

That likely won't work here, as the s_client code uses standard input
as one of the sources for the select().

Was going to use the work-around listed, but that's not necessary as
upgrading to SSL1 1.0.1h has resolved this bug.

Still trying to sort out the underlying TLS problem that led to testing
connections with the s_client in the SSL1 kit, but that's fodder for
another discussion and another time, and more debugging.

Haven't seen whether the changes were fed back, but didn't look too
carefully at the github master for the file, and I know the changes
aren't in the s_client from 1.0.1 head.

I'd expect that enhancing select() to better implement the expected
behavior from other systems — removing the present OpenVMS limitations
— is on the list somewhere, but probably not near the top.

Hope things work out.