[Info-vax] HPE Trims Back To The Core Enterprise Essentials

IanD iloveopenvms at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 14:28:32 EDT 2016

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 11:49:14 PM UTC+10, Bob Koehler wrote:
> In article <0952ea38-87c7-4237-b157-bc6ce7552877 at googlegroups.com>, Baldrick <trickynic at gmail.com> writes:
> > On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 8:10:04 PM UTC+1, Kerry Main wrote:
> >
> > *PURE PERSONAL OPINION* (just slightly stolen)
> >
> > As an employee of CSC under the helm of captain laurie i thought we were he=
> > aded for a take over by hp(e), or even some other offshore headed up organi=
> > zation.
>
>    As a former employee of CSC, we were kind of hoping for a takeover by
>    any company that gave a shit.

lol

I worked for EDS for many years and we thought that too when we *merged* with HP

What we got instead was a faceless enterprise and then 10 months later, got the arse

HP sent our jobs to India and the customer was happy because of the perceived savings. Wind the clock forward and the huge customer outsourcing venture has been deemed a failure and they are taking almost everything back in house. What HP will be left with is almost nothing at the end of it. They ultimately made less money from the customer than in the past when they had a local team who knew the customers business and long term the customer is going to be doing everything themselves!

I happen to work with one of HP's competitors now

They are winning work hand over fist because of price

They are lean, very lean but as they grow, they accumulate processes and procedures and standards which will slow them down and drive up their costs

HP are on the way down, trying to cut costs, do more with less, trim all those standards, procedures and additional quality items they have accumulated over the years

The two companies will eventually cross each other on the cost / offering front and the whole cycle will start again

How to stay lean while delivering quality at a fair market price I don't think any company has mastered fully but looking after your local customer and knowing their business and looking out where you can help them grow and expand I think pays dividends in the end.

It's just hard trying to get your new owner to see this value when they have suddenly got cheap credit and have just taken you over and they think they can commoditise every little aspect of that you do rather than understand that it's swings and round-abouts and that not every item you give a customer for cheap needs to be fully reimbursed when you know what is coming down the pipeline and what you are doing is planting the seeds that will reap far bigger returns later

That's the main difference I noticed with HP. They insisted on the customer paying for every tiny item imaginable which in the end only drove up costs for our customer and they started doing more work for themselves - talk about embracing a negative feedback mechanism lol