[Info-vax] PowerX Roadmap - Extended beyond 2020

Jan-Erik Soderholm jan-erik.soderholm at telia.com
Fri Sep 16 09:46:25 EDT 2016

Den 2016-09-16 kl. 15:22, skrev Bob Koehler:
> In article <nrfrgj$res$1 at dont-email.me>, David Froble <davef at tsoft-inc.com> writes:
>>
>> Don't know why you insist on RMS.  I haven't used it since before 1984.  If I
>> was working on something new, with perhaps special file I/O requirements, then
>> I'd consider how I might best do the job.
>
>    Done any file I/O on VMS lately?  If not via RMS, then how?
>
>    If you so much as accessed a file by name and path, you used RMS.

For what we are talking about here (VMS as back-end for IoT
generated data/transaction) RMS might not be an issue. Oracle
Rdb doesn't use RMS for it's general DB I/O. Only for specific
operations such as database backup, table load/unload, database
export/import and similar. Not for anything done during regular
operations.

Sometimes back in the early 90's someone on INFO-VAX wrote:

 > I have it from DEC that Rdb does NOT use RMS.  It calls QIO's
 > directly to avoid the (minimal) overhead of RMS, since it
 > doesn't need anything which RMS provides and QIOs do not.

I do not now how other DB's such as MariaDB runs its DB I/O...

So, for what we are talkning about here, RMS might be a non-issue.

Jan-Erik.