[Info-vax] Updated HPE/VSI OpenVMS V8.4-2L1 Marketing Brochures

Dirk Munk munk at home.nl
Fri Sep 16 18:12:59 EDT 2016

Simon Clubley wrote:
> On 2016-09-16, Kerry Main <kemain.nospam at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Fyi .. updated OpenVMS V8.4-2L1 brochures on the HPE web site
>>
>> VSI OpenVMS V8.4-2L1 Operating Environments:
>> http://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA6-4476ENW.pdf
>>
>> Exceed Business Expectations: VSI OpenVMS V8.4-2L1
>> https://www.hpe.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA6-5039E
>> NW
>>

> Kerry's Usenet client has broken the second link. Correct link is:
>
> https://www.hpe.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA6-5039ENW
>
> Kerry, you really need to sort out the client you are using...
>
> BTW, who still uses DECnet Phase V ? (It's referenced in the first link).
>
> Simon.

There we go again, sigh.

*If* you want to use DECnet, and you have an IP only network
infrastructure (and that is very likely these days), you can *only* use
DECnet Phase V, since it has an IP transport stack. OSI has been
designed to use IP as well next to other OSI transport stacks.

There is an RFC for using IPv6 as well, in fact it is a very old RFC. I
hope (and expect) that the new VSI IP stack will also incorporate this RFC.

Since DECnet Phase V also has OSI application that are still being used
in the industry, DECnet Phase V is a very necessary product.