[Info-vax] "bad select 38" (OpenSSL on VMS)

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Sat Sep 17 16:13:36 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-17 17:54:55 +0000, John Reagan said:

> On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 11:11:48 AM UTC-4, Stephen Hoffman wrote:
>

>> And (in all seriousness) does anybody still need __VAXC?
>
> __VAXC is what is set with /STANDARD=VAXC.  That doesn't mean "I'm a
> VAX compiler".  That is __VAX.

I'm well aware.

I find the use of VAX C an excellent flag to identify C source code
that tends to be unmaintained or ill-maintained, and of source code
that's often buggy, unstable and/or contains security vulnerabilities.

> That said, I'm all for tossing /STANDARD=VAXC over the side, but such
> things tend to hang on for a long time until you are forced.

Then go do it.  Have the courage of your convictions.

Establish and then communicate your future plans.   That and the
ensuing discussions are part of what boot camp is useful for to VSI and
to customers, after all.

In this case, announce the end of VAX C.   That VAX C code won't make
it across to x86-64.

(I'm here assuming there'll be little new C work on OpenVMS I64 or earlier.)

If folks really need VAX C and if VSI has the cycles, make'm pay for it.

I'd likely also announce that specific identified existing (and
deprecated) APIs are also subject to removal.

Then start providing replacements for other problematic APIs, and then
deprecate those problematic APIs, and then remove them.

I'd be seriously tempted to announce the deprecation and eventual
removal of DECnet, for that matter.

This'll be painful and it'll be a shock to some existing sites, but so
is making meaningful advancements within the constraints of ~forty
years' accretion of immutable errors and security vulnerabilities.

We all know the only outcome of the current historic-preservation
strategy, after all.